It’s a challenge we all face with jewelry: multiple boxes and hiding spots make it hard to keep track of it. Before long, chains wind up in knots, earrings become elusive, and rings vanish in the bottom of your bag. In just three steps you can make your organizing system as beautiful as your gems! Why hide your best baubles in a box when you can put them on display?
1. Compartmentalize your way. Consider how you look for your jewelry; then take everything out and reorder your collection, adapting or replacing containers. Most jewelry boxes are designed to store rings, necklaces, etc. in separate compartments. You can also organize by occasion, dividing your pieces into casual and formal; by sets; or by color group.
2. Find the prime location. Before you buy any new boxes or dividers, decide where you want to keep your “everyday” wear.
- Dresser top. If you go this route, you’ll want beautiful boxes or something sculptural. We recommend staying away from anything with a zillion tiny drawers—it’s impossible to remember what’s where.
- Dresser drawers. Fabric or velvet, dividers will keep your jewelry organized and accessible, without surface clutter.
- Closet. If you’re lucky enough to have an eye-level surface in a well-lit closet, you can store jewelry there. And since it’s in view only when you’re dressing, you can use a corkboard with thumb tacks to decoratively hang necklaces.
- Consider stashing valuable pieces in a high-end jewelry safe or your safe-deposit box when you’re away from home.
3. Protect your jewels. Whether their value is monetary or sentimental, your jewels are treasures. Organizing them now guarantees a lifetime of enjoying the bounty.
- Carefully stow heirlooms where you won’t lose track of them. Periodically weed through your jewelry to give away what you don’t love anymore.
- To limit abrasion while on the road, invest in a protective travel pouch or case. A portable jewelry case will prevent pieces from falling behind hotel dressers. We recommend the Prima Weekender case by PurseN to keep all of your valuables safe and sound. Chic & compact, this origami-inspired case features 10 individual compartments with 6 built-in pouches and 4 removable pouches to organize Small to Medium sized jewelry. If you don’t want to invest in a jewelry case, try stringing chains through a drinking straw to keep them untangled.
- Save yourself (and your jewelry) by keeping a ring bowl at the sink, a small jewelry box on your desk, and a velvet pouch in your handbag for those times during the day when you have to remove your jewelry.
We hope this post inspires you to store your pieces in a beautiful yet easy and accessible way, because what fashionista doesn’t like function and fashion?!