First and foremost, a huge Thank You to all of our guests who made our Vintage Chanel kick off event a success. We hope you are enjoying your new “investment purchase”. If you’re anything like us, you’re probably pretty eager to take your new designer bag out for a spin. But before you do, it’s key to take a few measures to ensure that it holds up for as long as possible. We hope that from our previous blog posts and email blasts, you now know the complete history on Coco Chanel and the fun facts behind what inspired her 2.55 Handbag.
With that being said, it’s now time to re-direct our focus on how to take proper care of your “prized purse possession” and newest wardrobe addition. With so much information out there online, all the advise floating around can get a bit confusing, that is why we are here to do the dirty work on breaking down just how to keep your Chanel clean and pristine…
- Always put your bag away upright, in the original felt case. Pad it with tissue paper to keep the shape. Make sure that the chains are not in contact with the outside, as they might mark the leather. The simplest thing is to put them inside the handbag, in the tissue paper.
- Do not over-fill your handbag, as this might spoil the shape irreparably, and strain the chain-fasteners, zips and clasps.
- The tanning methods used by CHANEL keep the leather soft so that the surface remains alive and permeable. Avoid contact with water, grease, perfume and makeup.
- Do not clean with products intended for other purposes, such as polish, turpentine, oil, spot removers, spirit or solvents.
- White handbags are extremely sensitive to light, and the leather will turn yellow if it is exposed for too long to spotlights, fluorescent lamps, etc.
- If your handbag gets wet, do not wipe it but absorb the water by patting gently with a fine woolen cloth.
- Do not attempt to repair more serious damage yourself. Consult a CHANEL boutique or a good leather craftsman. We highly recommend Leather Surgeons (www.leathersurgeons.com).
If you treat your handbag with great care, it will last you a lifetime… and if you missed our event, fear not, we still have Vintage Chanel Handbags here waiting for a new home…JOUIR DE!